The Cabin

The water temperatures are hovering around 55deg and the fish are just starting to get active.  The pike and Musky have spawned and the panfish bite is really hot and heavy.

I was fortunate enough to go up to the cabin in Mercer Wisconsin for the holiday weekend and take advantage of the nice weather to get some work done on the cabin.  Of course I found some time to get out and fish, but the trip was mostly a working trip.

The trees were beginning to bud out and the wildflowers were making their appearance.   The loons were calling and singing their songs across the lake as we toiled away at our "to-do" list.

It seems that no matter what the work that needs to be done, it is always less of a chore when you are doing it up North.   The same job back home may be put on the back burner for weeks but not at the cabin.  The work is enjoyable and relaxing.

Of course I was able to do some fishing, but mostly from the dock.  That was, of course, after we finished putting the dock out and securing it on its proper anchoring.  

The crappies were schooling up and offered some really fast and fun action from the shoreline.  I was able to get some nice keepers for a good meal working a small jig near and in the rock bar that extends out from the point near the cabin.

I left the boat at home this trip because we have a couple smaller boats up at the cabin that we can use when we want.  We ventured out a time or two in search of bass.  There were some fish to be found.  They were holding on the weededges and we worked weightless plastics to entice these fish into striking.

The dock, however, seemed to offer up the best fishing opportunity for the weekend and I had two days of catching 6 separate species from the dock.  

As a child we used to spend our summer vacation at a cabin in northern Michigan and I would spend every waking minute on that dock catching fish one after another.  My time spend on the dock this past weekend allowed all of those memories to flood back into my mind and I couldn't help but feel like that 7year old kid sitting on the dock.  

The work on the cabin got done, and my body and soul had been refreshed with the time we spent up north.  The clean air, the slow pace, and the opportunity to enjoy nature at its finest.

It was a short getaway, but I can say that I enjoyed every second of it.  Now I just have to wait several weeks until I can get back up there and spend an entire week of relaxing and taking in the richness of the Northwoods.

I can still taste the cold beer and feel the tug on my line. These thoughts will occupy my mind and senses and keep me going thru the long days at work.

 Soon, I keep thinking, Soon!

01 Jun, 2011


--
Source: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/illinois-outdoors/2011/06/the-cabin.html
~
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com