Tenacity and God's Plan

In today's Gospel (Luke 1:39-56, NAB), we start at the very beginning.  Mary goes to visit her cousin and when Elizabeth hears Mary's greeting, her own child leaps within her and she's filled with the Holy Spirit.  

Elizabeth cries out, "Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.  And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?  For at the moment of the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy.  Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled."

I'm assuming that Mary did not feel blessed at first.  Pregnant and unmarried at that time would have brought great shame to her family and even death for herself if Joseph wanted to push the issue.  But he didn't.  He accepted his role as earthly father to the Savior of the World.

Elizabeth on the other hand, has found herself pregnant after years of being childless and I often wonder if she thought about her son's role in the years to come.

I read a great devotional article about the tenacity of Mary and Elizabeth in the Catholic Women's Devotional Bible (NRSV) by Ann Spangler.  Both women stuck to their faith and accepted God's plan for them.

Do you?


31 May, 2011


--
Source: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/being-catholic-really/2011/05/tenacity-and-gods-plan.html
~
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com