FYI White Sox: We prefer you lose in 9

61962244.jpg

Bringing nothing to the table. ( Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE, US PRESSWIRE / May 28, 2011 )

Let me set the scene: I was driving home from The Container Store, listening to Farmer & Jackson, and Jose Bautista is at the plate in the bottom of the 1st with 2 men on. Edwin Jackson promptly gives up a 3-run homer, and I turn back to 103.5 Kiss FM.

When I get upstairs to my apartment, I decide that I can't really stop looking at the train wreck that is our Chicago White Sox, so I turn it back on. They reward me with 2 runs on a Brent Lillibridge home run. It's getting really hard for me to keep disliking that guy. Little did I know at this time, in just the top of the 2nd, that this would be the first of 3 comebacks from the Sox. Unfortunately, the Sox fell one comeback short, and the afternoon was just a very long mess of missed opportunities.

The song remains the same.

After giving up 5 runs in 3 innings, the fact that Edwin Jackson made it through 6 2/3 innings was a miraculous gift from whomever you believe gives miraculous gifts. Way to cinch it up and hunker down to save our bullpen, Edwin!

...Oh. Actually, no one was spared in this disastrous 14 inning loss that used Matt Thornton, Jesse Crain, Chris Sale (3 innings), Sergio Santos (2 innings), and GAVIN FLOYD for 1+, ultimately ending in an unexpected loss for him on a solo home run from Jose Bautista. I mean Corey Patterson. Basically the same guy.

61962243.jpg

The picture of White Sox fandom today. Shvitzing and head scratching. ( Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE, US PRESSWIRE / May 28, 2011 )

I had some issues with this game that go beyond the team's total of 10 men left on base. Well...hmmm...ok, I still take issue with the 10 men left on base, namely the runners on 3rd in both the 11th and 12th innings, but more specifically, I have a problem with Adam Dunn leaving 5 men on base, not being removed for a pinch-hitter...ever...and really just being in the 3-hole during this slump while hitting .184. I understand that he is a veteran, but he's just not getting it dunn. Get it? Move him down. It's a business, not a friendship circle. Oz had him hitting 7th yesterday, and because he gets walked four times he suddenly earns his spot back? What planet is this? He didn't actually hit the ball once--the pitcher just missed.

It's also peculiar that Ozzie didn't pinch-hit for Dunn with TCQ in the 11th. I'm not exactly expecting a game winning hit from Dallas McPherson, but why would was the idea of Omar Vizquel's 1st base debut more comforting to you? The guy is 44 years old and has never played 1st base. Is now really the time? Obviously, he came in and did fine because he's the man, but think that one through next time.

Oz had a signature post-game media session after this one, saying that they "flat out stunk" after the 9th inning, and that he feels drained and it's not even June yet. You're telling me, Ozzie. I'm still mad I wasted so much time today almost 8 hours later, and you're just out enjoying a Japanese dinner in Toronto. Unfortunately for both of us, we'll be back at it tomorrow at 12:07, the dumbest start time in Major League Baseball. John Danks is still winless, so that's promising.

By the way, anyone catch the shot of Gordon Beckham's face today when Mark Buehrle forced him to look at the camera? EWWWWW. Hope that looks better, I mean feels better, soon.


29 May, 2011


--
Source: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/white-sox-soxic-relationship/2011/05/fyi-white-sox-we-prefer-you-lose-in-9.html
~
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com